Free The Hikers – Weekend Of Action!
Dear Heather Dalberg,
We write to you angry and frustrated that SSJ’s case is not resolved after almost a year and they STILL languish in Evin Prison for absolutely no reason. We are preparing to channel this frustration into highlighting their ordeal and are organizing a “Weekend of Action” to mark ONE YEAR OF DETENTION on July 31st.
We need YOU to bring your energy, activism and outrage to highlighting this terrible milestone as well. Please consider organizing an event on the one-year marker and do everything to raise your voice to protest the inhumane way SSJ are being used as political collateral.
Weekend of Action:
This is what we have planned. We hope that you can help!
- A major event in New York City outside the Iranian Mission to the UN (40th St. and 3rd Ave.) on Friday, July 30th from 12:30-2pm. All three mothers will attend as well as prominent figures in the human rights community and others…We will mark the moment when they were detained at 1:33pm with a moment of silence. We encourage everyone and anyone to come to this event. This is the only national event and a strong turnout is critical.
- Events in each of the Hikers’ home states (California, Minnesota and Pennsylvania). These will take place in Philadelphia – outside of the Liberty Bell – Duluth and San Francisco; more details soon.
- We urge all friends and supporters to hold peaceful events to protest the illegality of SSJ’s detention, to bring as many people as possible out to those events and to publicize them widely. Events outside symbols of the Iranian government (embassies and consulates, Iran Air offices, etc.) are encouraged. International events are particularly important. The families will continue to decry the illegality of SSJ’s detention and the fact that Iran is flagrantly using them as pawns in the political conflict with the US. If you can organize an event please contact Farah Mawani at firstname.lastname@example.org so we know about it and can connect you to other supporters. We encourage you to use our Facebook site as a means of mobilization.
- We are asking all supporters to wear a white ribbon (a new symbol of the Free the Hikers campaign) and encourage their friends to do the same.
- We also encourage everyone to reach out to human rights advocates, musicians, cultural figures and others to take up the cause of SSJ’s freedom.
Thank you for all of your support, it is absolutely essential and gives us the spirit to continue this struggle.
The Bauer, Shourd and Fattal families
Here are some links to news stories about SSJ’s case over the last six weeks.
MAY 27 | BRING THEM HOME—EUGENE WEEKLY